Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Accidental Corn Farmer

This corn plant showed up volunteer!
The tassle has opened
One of two ears emerging

You just imagine my surprise when I came back from vacation this summer to find this growing in my raised bed!  I didn't even know that corn kernels had fallen into the bed, but at least one must have.  Now, we've got a corn plant growing in our little garden in Las Vegas.  This picture on top was taken three weeks ago.  Now, it has tassels on it (the male flowers) and the start of two ears (the female flowers)!  We may wind up with an ear or two of corn by fall.  It's been fun to watch this plant grow from a seedling to an almost mature plant over the course of a couple months.  Good thing I know what corn seedlings look like and didn't mistake it for some species of turf grass.  I didn't get a good picture of it when it was smaller but corn seedlings look like this next picture below that I found online. 
 


What adventures with surprise or volunteer plants have you had?


No comments:

Post a Comment